The 3rd Hampden
AGAWAM Town of Agawam, Massachusetts, U.S.A. Agawam is a beautiful community with a rural atmosphere and blends suburban living with affordable homes, a low tax rate, highly respected schools and safe community neighborhoods. Agawam is a wonderful place to live, work and an alluring place to visit.
Agawam’s recreational opportunities are abundant with its state park, numerous golf courses, 1.7 mile bike path, and its vast open space.
The physical setting of Agawam, along with its traditional farm fields, historic homes, and village centers, with the natural location of the city, including mountains, rivers, streams and wetlands, all help to make the community a tranquil location to live and visit.
Agawam is a great place to live. We are proud of our wonderful school system and our community spirit. Agawam is most notably known for being the home of Six Flags New England but is also the hometown of Anne Sullivan, instructor and mentor of Helen Keller, and General Creighton W. Abrams; Chief of Staff of the United States Army from 1972 to 1974.
Total Area: 24.23 sq. miles Land Area: 23.24 sq. miles Population: 28,144 Density: 1,211 per sq. mile
The mailing address for the Town Hall is: Agawam Town Hall / 36 Main St / Agawam, MA 01001 Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30-4:30
SOUTHWICK Southwick was settled by people who moved south from Westfield, along the main north-south arteries now named College Highway, North and South Loomis Streets and North and South Longyard Roads. (Please see map, a copy of the oldest one we have.) Fowlers settled in the 1730′s in Poverty Plains, so named because the soil was deemed poor for farming. The Loomis family settled early in the North Loomis area, and Nobles were in the South Longyard area. The Moores were established in the section nearest what was then Simsbury, Connecticut. The Roots located near the site of the original church that stood at the corner of Bugbee Road and College Highway. That is why the town cemetery was and is still located near that spot.
INCORPORATION Attending church in the winter must have been quite an ordeal. That was one reason that fifty-two residents of the south part of Westfield petitioned on the 15th of March 1765 to become a separate town. Men whose last names were Moore, Loomis, Fowler, Root or Noble accounted for almost half of that number. On November 7, 1770, Southwick, the south village or “wick” of Westfield, was set off as a district, and in 1775, it became a full-fledged town. Records of town meetings have been preserved since that time, with the records from 1775 through 1853 transcribed in typescript form, for easier reading. Many resources of that kind can be consulted at the Southwick Public Library.
THE “JOG” In 1774, just before the outbreak of the American Revolution, the area known as the “Jog” became part of Simsbury, Connecticut, reducing the area of Southwick by one third. With this reduction of both area and population, it would not be surprising to learn that the town had trouble supplying its allotted share of the support of the conflict. When the Salmon Brook area of Simsbury became the separate town of Granby in 1786, the “Jog” area was included. After the affairs of the war and new federal constitution were settled, it still took another several years before the “Jog” returned to Southwick and the jurisdiction of Massachusetts. Prominent residents Amasa Holcomb, Sardis Gillett, and Roger Moore all lived in that section of town during the boundary changes, and each recounted the story of living in four towns, three counties, two states, and two colonies. The house of Roger Moore, built by his father Joseph in 1751, is being restored by the Southwick Historical Society, Inc. and will become the first museum in our town.
GRANVILLE Granville was first settled in 1736 and was officially incorporated in 1754, after the end of the Indian wars in 1750. Early settlers could get at 100-acre (0.40 km2) lot for free, providing they built a house and “put four acres in English hay”. Perhaps the most famous resident of that era was Oliver Phelps, whose purchase of 6 million acres (24,000 km2) in western New York remains the largest real estate purchase in US history (Phelps and Gorham Purchase). The population expanded quickly, peaking at 2100 in 1810, when it rivaled Springfield. However, perhaps due to the rocky soil in New England, the settlers eventually migrated west, some establishing the town of Granville, Ohio.
Many historic homes dot Route 57, the main road through town. The village center, the old center, and West Granville center, are all districts recognized by The National Register of Historic Places. Historic buildings include Granville’s Old Meeting House (superb acoustics), the Stevenson house to the west of the old meeting house, the West Granville Academy, and the West Granville Church. The village center features an old fashioned country store, known for its cellar-aged cheese.
In addition to period architecture, Granville is the watershed for three reservoirs: Barkhamsted the main source for the Hartford metropolitan district; Cobble Mountain, the main source for the city of Springfield; and Westfield, the main source for the city of Westfield, Massachusetts. Much of the land in town is owned by the various water districts. Granville also has a number of active apple orchards.